We are extremely proud to announce that, of our 19 Travel teams playing in the Long Island Junior Soccer League (LIJSL) last Spring, 9 NHP teams won the Sportsmanship Award, and 3 more came in 2nd place (2 of those lost to another NHP team). That's nearly 50% of our teams that won the award, and over 60% that won either 1st or 2nd place, all in divisions of 8-12 teams. Statistically speaking, that's 5-6x as many teams as should have won. This is no accident, folks. We prove every day that being great sports and being competitive are not mutually exclusive, since many of the teams that won the award ranked in the top 3 of their division from a win-loss perspective as well.
One of the best things about the Sportsmanship Award is that it reflects the disposition of our entire club: the Board, the volunteers, the coaches, our trainers, the parents, and our players. The award is based on the compilation of scores provided by referees after each game throughout the season according to the following criteria:
- player appearance (5 points)
- player attitudes (10 points)
- coaches' attitudes (10 points)
- parents' attitudes (10 points).
- Girls U19 Lady Pumas - 1st place - Coach Kieran Griffin
- Girls U19 Roaring Tigers - 2nd place - Coach Phil Lugo
- Girls U15 Lady Thundercats - 1st place - Coach Kieran Griffin
- Girls U14 Pride - 1st place - Coach Chris O'Leary
- Girls U12 Lady Lynx - 1st place - Coach Pat Lopez
- Girls U11 Lady Tigers - 1st place - Coach Javier Caneda
- Girls U10 Lightning Cats - 1st place - Coach Leo Sacco
- Boys U17 Lynx - 1st place - Coach Freddy Maldonado
- Boys U17 Jaguars - 2nd place - Coach Kieran Griffin
- Boys U17 Sabercats - 1st place - Coach Chris O'Leary
- Boys U15 Stormcats - 2nd place - Coach Tim Coogan
- Boys U11 Cougars - 1st place - Coach Scott Liewehr
Please feel free to proudly share this with your friends and family.
Oh, and PS: 1st place teams get a $250 reward for winning. Coaches, be sure to claim your prize!